Friday, August 6, 2010

Writing Prompt Week: Day Six.

It's writing prompt week, day six. Everyone, pick up sticks!

This week is almost over now. It went pretty fast, didn't it? Last night's story was a long one. 2,000 words! Let's see if today's prompt requires me to be shorter.

Activating the RANDOMIZER!

...221! (I had to skip the first number I got because it required me to write over a week's time.)

Let's see what my prompt is.

Put a used car salesman, a banker, and a movie addict in a bus. Add a flat tire and an empty window seat. One of them starts laughing hysterically. Write out the scene.

Hmm..mmkay. Not shorter. I'm feeling kind of scripty today so I am going to make this a script! You mind? Of course you don't. Here. We. Goooooo....


(A greyhound bus is shown traveling down a busy street. The song "Slow Ride" can be heard playing. The camera pans to a sharp object on the street. The bus drives over it, popping its tire. The bus pulls into a nearby gas station.)

DRIVER: (Gets out of bus) Woooheee! (Looks at flat tire) that's the flattest tire I've ever seen.

GAS STATION GUY: Is there a problem, mister?

DRIVER: Sure is. Do you think you have a big tire lyin' about? This here one's dead.

GSG: We'll see. Let's take a look...

(Scene cuts inside of the bus. MOVIE ADDICT and BANKER are sharing the same seat.)

MOVIE ADDICT: (Laughs hysterically) Oh, ha! That's funny stuff!

BANKER: What are you laughing at? This is a catastraphe! I'm going to be late for my job.

MOVIE ADDICT: I'm just remembering a movie I saw yesterday. It's called, Banana Splits. Ha! Isn't that a funny name?

BANKER: ...No, it isn't.

CAR SALESMAN: (turns around in his seat) Hey, what are you two laughing at?

BANKER: He's laughing. I'm not.

MOVIE ADDICT: Well, there's this movie I saw yesterday. It's hilarious. The story is about a girl named Banana and she splits! (Laughs)

CAR SALESMAN: Wow, my stunningly attractive young friend, that is pretty funny. And let me tell you I know about funny. Some of the funniest moments can be spent in your car.

MOVIE ADDICT: Really? I don't have a car. I just ride the bus-

CAR SALESMAN: Yes sir, nothing is better than a car. Nothing's better than a used car, actually. Listen, I know a guy who can sell you the best and the cheapest car alive.

MOVIE ADDICT: (Excitedly) Really?! Who!?

CAR SALESMAN: Me! It's me young sir! How about it?

MOVIE ADDICT: I don't know...how much?

BANKER: I can't believe you are trying to sell a man a car in the middle of a disaster like this. I don't have time for you two talking. I have to get to the First National Bank so I don't lose my job.

CAR SALESMAN: (Pulls banker aside) A banker, eh? A used car salesman and a banker are like two peas in a pod! We both do our best to make a good profit. Why don't you join up with me and scam the innocent pants of that movie goer, huh?

BANKER: You're not my my brethren pea! I have to find a ride. Maybe a cab or something.

MOVIE ADDICT: This kind of reminds me of a scene from a movie I watched. Ah, I remember. It was called, The Used Car Salesman, the Banker, and the Movie Addict and Their Adventures on a Rundown Bus!

(Silence. The two men look at movie addict.)

BANKER: There's a movie called that?

MOVIE ADDICT: Either that, or I'm confusing my life with the movies. But since the movies are my life, I doubt that's possible. Say, are you going to First National? That's right next to the movie theater! Can I go with you?

BANKER: Sure, I don't see why not. Let's go.

CAR SALESMAN: Wait, don't either of you want to buy a car?

BANKER and MOVIE ADDICT: I'll pass.

(The two men get off the bus. The CAR SALESMAN smiles. We can now hear the CAR SALESMAN's thoughts.)

CAR SALESMAN: (thinking) Ha, I won't lose a sale that easily.

(BANKER and MOVIE ADDICT find a cab. BANKER waves for it.)

BANKER: Hey, taxi!

(Cab pulls up to the gas station curb and the two men get in.)

MOVIE ADDICT: First National Bank on Moolah street please.

CAB DRIVER?: (In a scratchy voice) Okey dokey, my stunningly attractive young friend.

BANKER: Wait, I know that speech pattern! (Pulls CAB DRIVER around.) You're that car salesman!

CAR SALESMAN: Oh yes, did I forget to mention I'm a cab driver?

BANKER: A cab driver who rides the bus?

CAR SALESMAN: I was on lunch!

(BANKER and MOVIE ADDICT exchange looks, then shake their heads.)

MOVIE ADDICT: I think we should trust him! Cab drivers are good people. I know because I watched that one movie called Cab Drivers Are Good People.

BANKER: Yeah, I'm sure he's a real cab driver.

(Scene cuts to a building next the the gas station. The building has a sign saying "Cab Cars INC. Rent one today!" An unconsious cab driver is seen. Scene cuts back to the cab.)

SALESMAN: (whilst driving) Now, my stunningly attractive young friends, I'm sure it's a little tiring riding cabs and buses all the time. That's no way for a successful banker and a charming movie goer to hang around.

BANKER: I'm not successful yet. And listen, we are not interested in buying a car-

SALESMAN: Oh yes, can you imagine it now? Driving along the streets in a brand new camaro. (Quickly and silently) Well, not so new because it's used. (loudly again) Imagine all the babes you could get with a fancy car.

ADDICT: I LIKE babes.

BANKER: Don't fall to the darkside, kid!

SALESMAN: We even have a deal back at the lot. Buy a car, get a few cookies.

ADDICT: Oh my, the dark side has cookies.

SALESMAN: Why don't I take you back to the used car lot and let you pick out something. (Turns cab around)

BANKER: Stop this cab! We have no intention of buying a car!

SALESMAN: But what does your heart say?

ADDICT: Okay, that was pushing it. (Opens cab door.)

SALESMAN: Hey, what are you doing? (Accelerates cab)

ADDICT: Doing something I've wanted to do for a long time...(grabs BANKER and jumps out of the cab)

(The two land in a pile of trash bags. BANKER sits up and spits out a banana peel.)

ADDICT: Looks like we gave him the slip. And look, we landed in front of a new car lot.

BANKER: Great, not only am I late for work, I smell like a garbage bin. At least I am alive. Where did you learn that move?

ADDICT: Car Jumpers Gone Wild.

BANKER: Riiight...see you.

ADDICT: Wait, don't leave me alone with the car salesman. They come back. They always come back.

BANKER: I have to get to work.

ADDICT: But Banker dude-

BANKER: He'd have to give up by now anyway. Nobody is that insane.

(Scene cuts to SALESMAN inside the cab.)

SALESMAN: I have to sell a car. If I don't then I'll go insane. (Drives car up to the curb where BANKER and ADDICT are standing. He opens the trunk.) Here it goes!( Puts car into reverse and rams into the BANKER. BANKER falls into the open trunk. SALESMAN closes the trunk with a push of a button and drives away.)

BANKER: (inside trunk.)(calmly) Great, now I'm totally late for work.

ADDICT: Banker dude!

SALESMAN: (driving away) That was easy. Now all I have to do is get to the car lot and show that banker who's boss! I smell a raise! I only wish they would have been more cooperative. This was a hard day's work-eh, what was that?

(A brand new, shiny red car pulls up alongside cab. MOVIE ADDICT is inside.)

SALESMAN: A new car? Get that thing away!

(Camera cuts to MOVIE ADDICT.)

MOVIE ADDICT: Hasta la vista, baby. (Rams car into the CAR SALESMAN's)

(Cab flips over. The trunk pops open and BANKER crawls out.)

BANKER: Oh, geez. Could you have done that a little less hard?

MOVIE ADDICT: No.

(SALESMAN crawls out.)

SALESMAN: All I wanted to do was sell a car to you stunningly handsome young men.

MOVIE ADDICT: I just got a car. And guess what, it's new.

SALESMAN: Nooo! (faints)

BANKER: Well, this was the creepiest day of my life.

MOVIE ADDICT: This guy was pretty slick, but he should know that the good guys always win. I should know, because I watched a movie called-

BANKER: Let me guess, The Good Guys Always Win?

MOVIE ADDICT: How did you know?

(CREDITS)

_______

Well, there you go! What do you think of it? Tune in tomorrow for the final writing prompt day.

2 comments: