Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Haiku frenzy!

Hey folks, did ya miss me? I'm sure you did. I've been gone for like three days, right?

Anyway, today's post is going to be a very special one! Special I say!

RANDOM DUDE: Oh brilliant..

Shut up, Random Dude.

Anyway, I was rather depressed the day before. I was all cooped up in my room and everything. To make myself feel better, I decided to write poetry. (To the emos: I understand you now!) But not just any poetry...I wrote haikus! About twenty of them, too.

You all know what a haiku is, but to refresh your memory, a haiku is a poem of Japanese origin that consists of seventeen syllables. Five syllables for the first line, seven for the second line, and five at the bottom line. Haikus are generally about nature and all the little aspects about it. It's a restricting yet refreshing form of poetry, and I enjoy it. The only issue is that I kind of stink at it.

Okay, "stink" is an understatement.

But I was trying REALLY hard to write some good haikus yesterday, so I would like to tell you about my Haiku Marathon. Here it is:




It started when I sat at my computer. I decided instead of writing something hard like a play, I would write a haiku. Inspired by a picture of a butterfly, I began with....

Butterfly

cocoon breaks open wide
innocent butterfly soars
into tangled webs

Of course, by now I realized how addicting writing haikus is, so I wrote another.

Rose

the perfect flower
shall bend its head in goodbye
pink petal falls

And another..

Born

child breathes in deep
it clings to its first moments
determined to live

I wrote some others, too, but these are the "best". Anyway, I was feeling pretty good about myself so I decided to read some of my haikus to my sister. So I trotted up to her, smiling and hoping she would like them. This is what happened:

ME: Hey, sis, want to hear a haiku I wrote?

SIS: Sure, whatever.

(I read the haiku)

SIS: Oh my gosh! These are terrible! I want to vomit!

ME: ... (stalks off)


Let's just say that my heart was broken. And after your heart breaks, your writing goes into all out angry mode. In an revengeful act against my sister's cruel words, I wrote the following haiku.

Vomit

it is a strange green
and it is carefully strewn
all over my haikus

I read it to her. She freaked out, but laughed a lot. It was then I realized how much fun it is to write goofy haikus! Please enjoy some of the goofy haikus I wrote below! Some even have notes attached to them. Read those too.

___

Esther's Haikus

merciful raccoons!
it is without a mere doubt.
my haikus stink

(Written because it is true. :)
___

Vomit

it is a strange green
and it is carefully strewn
over my haikus

(This one fidge be my favorite.)
___

Guinea Pigs

they are cute and moist
don't ask me where they got moist
you don't want to know

(You don't...)
___

My Cat Tifa

slowly turns her head
and regards you all wide eyed
she is such a freak
__

Oops

I did it again
I played with your little heart
I'm not innocent
__

Oh CRUD

A large car hits me
followed by a large moose
I dodge the large bear

(I was running low on haiku ideas by this point.)
__

Monty Python

It's just a flesh wound
ignore me and trot away
smacking coconuts

(:-D)
___


Halo

I grab my fancy gun
I destroy the covenant
I died sixty times

(More than that, actually.)
_

Final Fantasy

Final Fantasy
it's a game that never ends
despite the "final".

(Haven't you wondered this?)
__
(This one is a complicated reference to an anime but I'll but it here anyway)

Chimp

Chimp thinks he is Moses
and hovers around spectacularly
I want to slap him

(from the anime, My Bride is a Mermaid!)
__

Well, there you go! Did any of them make you laugh? Which one was your favorite? Tell me which one was your favorite in the comments and I will give you a hugggg... Double points to those who comment in haiku form.

8 comments:

  1. I think they are great!
    And you wrote alot of them.
    So any way did you end up thinking of a play to write?

    ReplyDelete
  2. My favorite was the butterfly one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nope, not yet. I like the butterfly one too. Have a hug, as promised. *hug*

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the hug,here is a hug for you *hug*
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. She also wrote one called "Emma's Breath". Good thing for her she didn't post it, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your Halo Haiku
    It made me laugh--so Funny
    Write More, Pretty Please?

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Eager eyes waiting
    Prince with a tragic past
    and a princess too

    Eager fingers itch
    Some hypertext to reveal
    Matchmaking troubles

    Eager minds wonder
    "What will happen to them next"
    Pondering their Fates

    I liked your oh CRUD one. I would very much like to see the "Emma's breath" one. Speaking of which, she needs a YWS account.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Derek, Daniel, both of your haikus were wonderful. Hugs for the both of you. Emma told me to swear never to share "Emma's Breath" with anyone, even if it IS my best work.

    ReplyDelete