Monday, August 2, 2010

Writing Prompt Week: Day Two

Hello all and welcome to day two of writing prompt week! (Ignore the fact that the date for the previous post was off.)

Yesterday was certainly an exciting day for writing, was it not? Sure, I may have gone a little overboard with the whole, "taking over the world" thing, but that's just minor right?

Right.

Anyway, I suppose I should activate the RANDOMATOR now and get my writing prompt for today.

Activating the RANDOMATOR...

I got 169! Let's see what my prompt says..

"Flesh out this character: Juliana Ritter, 53; she is an extrovert but easily depressed."

Hmm, sounds difficult, but doable. Here we go....

Juliana Ritter was standing in the middle of the room, smiling to herself. She watched each of the party goers, deciding which one she should talk to first. The idea of talking to someone-anyone- excited her.

One person was wearing a rainbow tie and seemed proud of it. Another was dancing like she never danced before to some song that kept repeating the word "maniac". There were people just standing, drinks in hand, talking to eachother. She was so excited with the idea of talking to everyone in the room that she couldn't decide who to talk to first.

There was a girl in her twenties, pretty, but had a scar on her forehead that was long and very visible. Juliana wished to ask her about that scar because she was sure there was an interesting story behind it.

There was another guy in the back who was fat and bald, but was also really young looking.

Does he have some kind of genetic disorder that makes his head like that, Juliana thought happily, oh, I will have to ask him. So interesting a conversation would that be.

The truth was that Juliana loved talking. She did not enjoy small talk, however. She was only interested in the good parts of the conversation, the juicy bits. To her, talking about weather or how someone is doing was a waste of her time. She longed to talk about the dirty secrets, like how that young girl got her scar, for instance.

Juliana walked up to the girl and smiled brightly at her.

"Um, hello?" the girl said uncomfortably.

"Hello, where on earth did you get that marvelous scar!? I must know, please!" Julia exclaimed.

The girl gasped and touched her forehead. With her hand still on her face she said, "That's none of your business! Do I like, know you?"

"No, but I'm sure I'd like to know about your scar!" Julie answered.

The girl gave out a snort and tromped away. Julie felt very depressed. What could she have said that was so offensive?

After all, I was only bringing up a friendly conversation.

Julie wallowed in her fruit punch, wondering what she had did wrong. She had always considered herself a polite and tactful person. She always said "please" and "thank you", "you're welcome" and "I'd rather not". What could she be doing wrong?

Seeing the ugly man in the back of the room, hope was restored to Juliana. Perhaps I can make a friend after all!

"Hello there, kind sir. I can't help but notice that you are fat and bald, but are also incredibly young looking. Tell me, please, is this due to a genetic disorder of some sort?"

Baldy's eyes grew wide for a long time. He eyed her suspiciously.

"Is this some kind of a joke, lady?"

"Of course not! I am simply inquiring-"

"Well stop it! You think it's nice to make fun of me."

"I said please."

"You think it's funny? YOU THINK IT'S FUNNY?"

His face a burning red, the young man stormed off, leaving Juliana shaking her head. She felt so sad, not being able to know if the man was just fat or suffering from a disease. She did not let herself be down for too long, however.

"My my, what an impolite young man. He must not know his manners at all. I said please and thank you, just like my mother taught me," she said sadly to herself, "And by golly, I'm going to stick to my dear old mother's advice, may she rest in peace!"

Still confused and heart broken from a lack of proper social interaction, Juliana Ritter stormed off.

________

Well, that was...interesting. You see, my young friends, this is what you get for making something up as you go along. (It was in the rules though, see DAY ONE)

Did you like this piece? Maybe not? Either way, post comments in the bottom and tune in tomorrow for another exciting adventure.



3 comments:

  1. That was pretty good for being randomly chosen and not planned. So how do you like this new system of writing your using? I think it's working out well

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eh, I kind of prefer to choose what I write, I think, but this is a good way to write every day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah I figured that.I do like that you writing everyday though ( Probably because I like reading your writing)

    ReplyDelete