Tuesday, January 11, 2011

People to People: A New Experience

Basically, I'm very lucky. I'm going to tell you why.

Some of you may know this, but I'm going to brief you anyway. Recently, I was accepted into the People to People Student Ambassador Program, and I am very excited to be an Ambassador!

The Student Ambassador Program is about promoting peace between cultures. American students are sent to other countries as ambassadors representing our country to its fullest, creating bonds between America and other countries. While on the program, students will interact with the people they visit in other countries, take part in cultural activities, immerse themselves in that country's history, and overall have a very deep intellectual and emotional experience. People to People was founded by our former president Dwight D. Eisenhower in 1956, and the organization is still going strong today. That's just a little of the basic information, but you can find some more at the website here if you are interested(!) : http://www.peopletopeople.com/AboutUs/Pages/OurHeritage.aspx

People to People is somewhat exclusive and you can only be a part if you are nominated and pass the interview process. I got the invitation in the mail and about two months later I was interviewed. A day later I was called and told that I passed and I was now a Student Ambassador! (And the confetti rains) I will be going on a nineteen day trip to Europe this summer with twenty-three other students from the Illinois and Indiana area. On the trip we will be going to six different countries: England, Ireland, France, Belgium, Whales, and the Netherlands. That's a lot of land mass! Everyday is going to be jam packed with activities, and I simply can't wait. Especially for Ireland, which holds a special place in my Irish heart. Okay, I'm not Irish, but I wish I was.

I'm looking forward to the learning experience most. I've never been outside the country, let alone without my family. I'm going to be forced to be in charge of my own luggage, think more for myself, and spend my money wisely. (But I'm still going to buy a miniature Eiffel Tower.) I'm going to meet so many people and learn how to do new things, even something like rappelling down a castle wall! I am looking forward to the friendship opportunities as well. Not only with my delegation but with people I meet in other countries. Just thinking about it makes me slightly nervous, but I'm more excited than anything else. There is just one minor setback.

The trip is expensive.

Well, I'm sure you expected that. After all it is a big trip. Still, my family is not the richest. The trip alone costs 7,500 dollars. This does not include the stuff I have to buy for the trip, such as a passport and new clothing. (People to People has a stern dress code, and while I own nothing that would upset them, they don't recommend jeans or shorts so I'll need new pants.  The pants must be lower than the knee!) I'll need spending money, a new backpack, a camera or at least a phone with a camera, and some other things as well. That's a lot of money for a simple folk like me. So what is a humble gal like me to do?

I'ma gonna fund raise my little tootie off, of course.

I already have a few ideas going. I'm babysitting a friend's child for money (does anyone need a kid sat?) I applied for a P2P scholarship that could really help me out. I'm going to go to businesses in search of sponsorships. I'll work for the sponsorships if they need help. I'm crocheting scarves to sell for money for the trip, and I'm going to sell other things as well, such as giant tubs of cookie dough. I'm going to try to set up a donation site so I can ask people to simply donate to my cause. It's easy to just click and donate. It's going to be hard work, but I know I will be able to do it. I am determined to work hard for every cent. The trip wouldn't be as fun knowing that I didn't work for it. Knowing that I earned my trip will make it fantastic. I'm pretty sure that People to People will change my life forever. I'll grow so much.

I just wanted people to know what I'm doing, just in case I suddenly disappear for nineteen days without warning! I'm also asking for people's support. I don't have a donation site up yet but once I do any amount donated would be great. But most importantly, I like to know that people are behind me saying "Hey girlfriend, you can do it, yo,", or "you get that country!" or something like that. If you have any fundraising ideas, that's today's comment box theme! Type those comments! Type em!

So, anyone want a scarf?

Esther "Funding Her Tootie Off" P.

7 comments:

  1. Well, I'm sure you already know that I'm positive you can do it!But.... just in case you didn't know... You can do this Esther, and I bet you will have lots of fun doing all the fund raising if there is anyway I can help let me know, if you teach me to crochet I'll even help with that! Hey, if you get me a girl scout uniform I can totally sell cookie dough tubs! okay.... maybe the girl scout uniform is a bad idea, but I'm good at selling stuff! As I already told you before I really think you should get a play together, I'm sure all of your home school group friends will gladly help! I could possibly even get a couple guys I know that are into acting to help.Actually I only know two guys that are acting at leas ones that you don't already know they can both sing as well! I will try to think of some ideas for awhile, I will let you know if I come up with anything. Well, this is becoming a really... really long comment, so I better finish it! Good luck,Esther! You will do great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Esther, you'll have so much fun!

    Once you get things set, I'll pass it on to a bunch of homeschoolers.

    BTW, if you didn't know, this is M (from this past weekend)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You may not me Irish, but my architecture design teacher is. Zachary, I think I would pay money to see you in a girl scout uniform. Lots of money.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks everyone. M, that would be great! Z, thanks for the encouragement and ideas! D, I must meet your teacher and, if I saw Zachary in a girlscout uniform, I would vomit. But if you would pay money. . .Zaaaaacharrry... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmm... how much money are we talking guys? ;) ha! Oh come on Esther, you know I would look so cute in a girlscout uniform.. heh maybe not.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh by the way... supposedly I'm part Irish. Yay me?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Me thinks we should never speak of this again...

    ReplyDelete