Saturday, June 19, 2010

Shocking of the Bio?

So I played Bioshock for the first time today. The game has always looked great-albeit terrifying-to me, so I thought I would give it a shot. (CAUTION: This is a rant. Read at own risk. Rated 13 and up for violence and Esther stupidity.)

Now for the guys that know me, you maybe thinking, "What? Esther played Bioshock? Isn't she like, a wimp?" And for those that are thinking this, you are right. I am a wimpy wimp with wimp issues. You may be pleased to know, however, that I actually played this game for a couple hours straight. Ha! I know Bioshock isn't a horror game, but it's still a big step for me. So anyway, onto my story.

Well first, I put the disk into the 360 drive. Actually, my dad put it in. It was just him, me, and my littlest sister in the house because the rest of my family went swimming with a totally lame family. (Just kidding, I love you guys.) Dad became my designated watcher. I grabbed the controller, propped my foot up on the couch, and started playing. (Spoilers?)

Mmkay, so maybe I was a little scared. Just a tad. I mean, who wouldn't be a little intimidated going several hundred feet underwater into a city crawling with genetically altered citizens?

Well, it seems that my plane has crashed in a large body of water, leaving me stranded. I swam to a building in the water, and went inside. (This IS Rapture, ya know.) It was really dark in the building so that's kind of when I went,

"Oh gosh, it's dark. It's dark! Please don't jump out of the darkness and stab me, little Splicers. I love you Splicers."

From that point I tip toed my way through the darkness and I found a submarine.

"Ooh! A submarine!"

Turns out it was an elevator, but that doesn't matter. It was dark! I got into the elevator and went down. Really really far down. Each passing story I went like, "Oh, so I'm going to have to go this far up to get home, then?" When the elevator stopped, I saw a Splicer (Genetically altered human thing) through the closed glass door. I watched as the Splicer did something really mean to a dude, and I immediately freaked out.

"AH! I'm totally freaking out!" I said.

The Splicer looked at me and said something about killing. I'm sure it didn't have to do with me. Then it attacked my elevator, stabbing it and almost stabbing me. Yay! Then this guy on a radio talks to me. Whatever, I don't trust him. I don't trust anyone. But I take the radio with me anyway.

It turns out, after I passed a couple of halls, I stopped freaking out. I grabbed this nifty wrench and the fear went away. Seriously, there is nothing like a good wrench to build self confidence. Unfortunately, having a weapon means that I can be really paranoid. I take my paranoia out on things that move, and things that don't.

Let me explain my little paranoia to you. I was walking through some dentist place and I saw a dead body. It looked dead, of course. So I shot it. Twice. Seriously, in this game I will attack ANYTHING. A crate? I shoot it. A woman crying over her fallen child? I shoot her too. Turns out she didn't have a baby in that carriage she was crying over. It was just a gun she was going to attack me with. So appearently my paranoia in videogames pays off in this one.

After a while I ran into a Big Daddy. Big Daddy's are possibly the cutest demi-boss I've ever seen. I love them! Too bad I have to kill them, seriously. I mean, why can't they just let me get to the Little Sister? It's not like I'm going to harvest her for genetic material or anythin-oh wait.

My first enounter went like this:

ME: Oh! Look! A BD! He's so cute!

BD: Gwaaaaaaaaah!

ME: I don't want to attack you. I hope you attack me.

(BD does nothing)

ME: ATTACK ME! (I go and poke him.)

BD: GAAAAH! (attacks)

ME: That's more like it-GAH! MY ORGANS! THEY'RE ALL VITAL AND THEY ARE ALL GONE!*

I survived my first encounter by leading him to a giant puddle of water and shooting him with electricity. (Thank you Pokemon, for teaching me that water conducts electricity.) So far I haven't died once. We'll see how that goes.

This may sound like bad stuff, really. But Bioshock is an awesome game. The depth of the story is amazing. Every enemy seems to have a different personality, and the nifty audio records lost by many give a good look into the characters of Rapture. I've only played this for a couple of hours, but really, I can tell this one is a master piece. So long as you have a strong stomach. Until next time.

END RANT.

*I say this a lot.

5 comments:

  1. It is kind of surprising that you are know playing Bio shock Esther! I think it's a pretty cool game except for the fact that if I play it on normal difficulty it seems to easy and I get bored but on hard......! Well anyway I,m glad you are having fun with it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Zack, I beat it on hard last month, it's not that bad, just only buy the enhancements you need, and don't backtrack, unless you have to.

    Esther, I agree about the Big Daddys being cute, and removing vital organs. (did you watch the title trailer? It gave me nightmares) did you rescue or harvest the little sister? Also, about things I learned from Pokemon, Ground puts out fire was more important.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a shock, Z? Just be glad I'm not playing Resident Evil 4. You'd never hear the end of it.

    I started on easy, but I'm going to switch to normal now that I have the hang of it. It actually isn't too bad except for the Big Daddies who are immortal. I'm glad it's not just me about thinking they are cute.

    I save the little sisters. I can't bring myself to kill them. How about you?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Next you need to try playing F.e.a.r. Lots of fun there. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I killed them the first time, saved them the second, and mixed it up the third time. If you even kill one, you get the evil ending.

    ReplyDelete